Fall is the perfect time to take care of the little things that can make a big difference around the house.
Fall means vibrant red, orange, and yellow trees, lots of pumpkins, and refreshingly cool temps, it also means winter isn’t far away. Here are a few projects—from looking after your exterior, to maintaining your heating system—that can help your home brace for the cold and save you some cash.
Install and Maintain all Pathways and Walkways
- Make sure to check all pathways and walkways for cracks and fill them to prevent water from getting in them and making them larger or freezing which can cause someone to slip.
Light Pathways with Lighting
- Less daylight calls for more illumination. This can also enhance your homes curb appeal, you can get cost effective outdoor lanterns and place them along walkways to your home.
Prep Your Landscape
- Grass roots keep growing until it gets down to about 40 degrees so this is a good time to feed them. Apply high-phosporous mix to lawns in order green up for spring.
Place a Floodlight on Garage
- Typically the trash haul or just checking things out in the house when coming home from work usually happens after dark so it is important to make sure you have the light necessary, this also helps with home safety and security.
Freeze Proof Exterior Faucets
- If not immediately noticed, a raptured pipe can be both expensive and time consuming to clean up.
Build a Mudroom Bench With Storage
- Fall means back to school, create an area just inside your entry where everyone can leave their weather and dirt from the day behind without dragging into the house and on the carpet and floors.
Drape Away Drafts
- Even windows that have been caulked and weatherstripped, windows in older homes can still be drafty. The right drapes, blinds and shades will help save some of the 10-30% lost through windows during winter time.
Give Your Fireplace a Facelift
- Chipped bricks, a stained hearth and years a accumulated soot can turn what should be the focal point of a living space into an eyesore.
Get Your Heating System Serviced
- Without yearly cleaning and inspection, your system can wear itself out quickly. The life of the unit will be much longer when serviced regularly.